Monday, 1 May 2017

New Pieces & Ideas

Got some new bits today from a car boot sale in Stroud, excited to start working on them! 

Plus finished pulling apart a pallet I picked up the other day, cutting down the pieces and sanding them off. All ready for the design part now, keep your eye open to see what they'll become! 

Friday, 28 April 2017

Mahogany Paint Splat Table

I found this beautiful little round table in the back of a charity shop in Stroud. It was rickety and unstable, covered in coffee ring marks, and cost me a tenner. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture until after I'd sanded it down and fixed the 'rickety-ness' - but I'm sure you get the idea! 

I've been brainstorming lots of design ideas over the past few weeks, and had several designs that I thought might work nicely on this piece.

I painted it white, then decided I'd paint splat it - seeing as I'd had so much fun splatting the other pieces. Plus, I'd seen the splats work well on the chairs, but was curious what they'd look like on a flat surface. 

It started coming along really nicely, and pretty quickly I discovered a technique that left these lovely drizzles and flicks of colour across the top of the table. 

Waiting for things to dry is always the hardest part - and I had to shoot off to work in the afternoon so I had to bring my wet, paint-splatty, table inside in case it rained. It was fun trying to move it without touching it I can tell you! 

I love a finished piece, dry, top-coated, and ready to go! 

Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Set of 2 Paint Splat Dining Chairs

I came across these two beautiful chairs by accident, over Facebook, and just knew that I had to have them. One was in reasonably good condition, the other bore the signs of paint applied by it's previous owner - not a completed project. But their beautiful shape, and the fact that they were a perfect pair, meant both that they'd make a great project, and that I had to have them! 

So I took the first one and began sanding. 

Have you ever tried sanding down a whole chair? It's actually pretty hard work, with all the fiddly bits and curvy bits, even with an electric hand sander! 

Once I'd sanded it down it looked rather naked, so I thought I'd better add a lick of black paint. 

The paint made it look lovely, all dark and 'midnight-esque', I could almost have kept it that way, but I had other plans. 

Then I took it outside and splatted it, with techniques that will not be revealed. I splatted it again, and again, and again! 

Then it was time to start of the second, which, of course, got the same treatment as the first. 

When they're all dried they get top-coated, then they're ready to go. 

The Beginning

A year ago my boyfriend and I got into the idea of Upcycling. We got hold of a lot of old wooden pallets and painstakingly took them apart and learnt how to put them back together again so that they'd be something a lot more exciting than pallets... like tables or wine racks.
This was great fun, but there was one problem... at this point I had a job that was demanding I put in all the hours under the sun, so with only one of us really working on it, the project sunk pretty quickly.
It was sad, but I didn't have the time to put into it, and he didn't want to do it on his own, so we put it to bed. But it never really left my mind.

A few weeks ago I mentioned it over dinner, how I'd enjoyed it and I wished I'd had the time to put into it. He's got other things going on now and isn't interested in going back to that, but after a brief conversation about designing and making and upcycling, he looked up and grinned at me.
'Rach,' he said, 'If you wanna do an upcycling project why don't you just do it, you don't have to make the pieces from scratch, you could take old furniture and revamp it.'
My mind started spinning with all sorts of ideas immediately. Of course, I didn't have to go through the laborious process of making the furniture, there's already plenty of furniture out there waiting for an exciting new lease of life!

So here I am, and this is my project, breathing new life into old things, and creating art out of the mundane.

My first piece was a test piece, and it was a chair, a normal, average, dining chair. It was pretty plain, and had a few marks on it; scratches, coffee stains, but those came out pretty quick.

This chair was great fun, I wanted to do a paint splat 'pattern', but had no idea the best way to go

about it. So I threw paint at it, I drizzled paint on it, I flicked paint at it, and I even did a weird little jiggly movement with my hand to try and make it come out all wiggly, (it didn't work), and I even tried blowing it off the end of a brush.
I used a paintbrush, a knife, a jug, my lungs, and the end of a paintbrush.
The result was a colourful chair... that looked a bit of a mess! But it was perfect, because through all the flicking and splatting and drizzling I found a couple of techniques that did get the result I wanted, techniques I'd take through to my next projects.

Rach 😃